With the rise of remote lifestyles and hybrid work schedules, we’re all spending much more time online. Meaning shopping, working, and even dealing with medical situations can be done from your computer or phone with a click of a button.
As such, telemedicine is one of the many innovations that increased in popularity. What is it, why can it be important and what does it have to do with travel insurance and assistance? We’ve got all the answers to your telemedicine questions right here.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine connects patients virtually with a network of licensed physicians for info, medical advice and treatment, including prescribing medication, when appropriate and legally permitted, of course. A telemedicine service allows those in need to request a virtual visit with a board-certified doctor 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, from anywhere in the world.
What are the benefits of using telemedicine?
Telemedicine has many benefits that can help make your trip easier. Some top ones are:
- Convenience – The last thing you want to do when you’re not feeling well is go anywhere, even to see a doctor. Telemedicine can help you save time and energy, so you can avoid driving or taking public transportation to a doctor and waiting for them to see you.
- Cost-effective – Telemedicine consultations may be more affordable than an in-person doctor visit or urgent care service. And if you travel with Faye and want to use this service, you can do so quickly and easily if you’re in a covered country.
- Reduced wait times – Telemedicine usually works on fixed appointment times, so no more sitting around and waiting in a doctor’s office.
- Comfort – You can make the appointment from anywhere, so if you’re not feeling your best and want to stay in your pajamas in bed all day, you can while seeing a doctor from the comfort of your hotel or an Airbnb in Italy.
- Reduced risk – If you’re sick and need to see a medical professional in person, it’s likely that you’ll have to interact with others on your way to and from the doctor, some who might also be sick. Staying back and speaking to a doctor remotely lessens the risk of you spreading whatever you may have or catching something else.
How does telemedicine relate to travel protection?
Telemedicine services provide a quick way for travelers to schedule appointments, speak with a doctor and receive medical attention from a doctor.
Telemedicine is suggested in scenarios that can be addressed with a regular doctor’s visit – like if you suspect you have COVID-19, have a cold that isn’t getting better, ear infection, allergies or some other symptoms that can be addressed via virtual discussions with a licensed medical professional.
Does Faye offer telemedicine?
Yes! Our telemedicine service, in partnership with Air Doctor, is available to those who purchase a Faye policy for international trips to 75 countries. Tapping into telemedicine services with Faye means you’ll have access to 20,000 doctors and services available in 21 languages and counting. It’s as easy as:
- Chat with our support team in the Faye app and let them know what happened
- Choose to video chat with a doctor (if you’re in a covered country)
- Browse and select a doctor by specialty, location & language
- Book your appointment
- Receive confirmation and you’re ready to go
Friendly FYI that your telemedicine meetings, held with Air Doctor’s medical professionals, are confidential and no info will be shared with Faye directly. And while our plans can cover medical expenses incurred during your trip, you’re on the hook for expenses not covered by the plan. So if the doctor gives you a prescription, suggests you head to another facility for testing, or anything else, please reach out to our customer support team – available 24/7 – to make sure you’re fully covered before moving forward!
Not in a country where we offer telemedicine? No worries, our customer support team will help point you in the right direction in order to get the medical attention you need.
Always on the go
Whether you’re a digital nomad who is always exploring a new destination or a young family with a sick toddler, getting sick in-trip can cause more than a headache. With telemedicine, you can easily see a doctor without losing hours out of your day or having to drive miles to receive treatment for a common cold. For travelers, it could be a trip saver, so travel with Faye and reap the rewards.